Join Hot Desk as they provide The Debrief with a team of art workers to give and gain invaluable feedback. This event will bring together the Human Resources of sharing information, personal reflection and experience analysis. Hot Desk Anonymous endeavours to expose work/art/life realities and to demystify the image of the of the ‘artist’ today. Practitioners Naomi Fitzsimmons, Jon Kipps and Saudamini Kalra will discuss their labour-related practices and the impact of the many job roles they take on.
The team will address the following:
- The competitive nature of the art world, with its links to the capital value of artworks and the individual ‘artist-as-genius’
- How we can establish more transparent and supportive networks and the importance of peer support and artist-run projects
- How artists support themselves and their practices financially and the pros and cons of freelance/flexible employment
- The language we use around ‘art’ as work or hobby and the impact of the labels we assign ourselves
- How educational institutions could better prepare artists for professional realities
What to expect:
- Screenings and analysis of the artists recent work-related work with Jon Kipps and Naomi Fitzsimmons
- Live-stream performance with theatre artist Saudamini Kalra
- You may give or take from opt-in discussions
- Tips and experiences in collaboration
- Drinks & Snacks!
Taking place in an immersive board room, Hot Desk Anonymous prides itself on breaking the usual office formalities by offering you a Brew By Numbers drink whilst they debrief.
The Debrief is being organised by Hot Desque, an artist-run curatorial practice working in temporary spaces in London.
For reference of the speakers’ professional pursuits, see below an attached CV:
HR – Tech start-up
Temp Office Staff
Event Coordinator – Charity
Art Tutor – Workshops
Video Editor/ Camera Woman
Set Design and Build
Promoter – club nights
Art teacher – summer school
Running theatre workshops
Account Manager – advertising
Office Manager – advertising
Receptionist and HR consultant – finance
Researcher – advertising
Carer for people living with dementia
English Language Tutor
Naomi Fitzsimmons, Saudamini Kalra, Jon Kipps
Thames Side Studios, Harrington Way, London SE18 5NR, UK